Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lil' Kim (The Notorious K.I.M)

So this one... is for the ladies. Without generalizing too much-- Lil' Kim was a huge part of the male dominant realm of Hip Hop. However, we finally have a rapper that has a stage name relevant to her own, Kimberly Jones.

Lil' Kim was the only female rapper in the rap group Junior M.A.F.I.A (representin') Formed by the one and only Notorious B.I.G., this rap group opened the door to her very successful solo rap career. And when I say she was representin'; I mean just that. Lil' Kim was the first female rapper to express the ghetto attitude as a female. She was the voice of all the women living in the ghetto regions also knows as "the hood."

However Kim was a tough, strong, independent woman from the start. At the young age of 9, Kim's parents separated and she was raised by her father until he expelled her from the family home. She struggled, as most of us do through life and came out with an strong attitude and a lot to say. To say the least, however, this was the root of her inspiration to write many future rap songs.

This blog can't be for the ladies unless it includes a love story...(Oh and believe me, it does.)

During these struggling times, Lil' Kim met boyfriend Notorious B.I.G. If you don't know him by now, please come out from under your rock because you're completely missing out. Biggie was a key factor in Kim's live personally and artistically. The awesome boyfriend that he was, he helped get Kim's foot in the door in the rap world and invited her to join the Junior M.A.F.I.A (Biggie was a keeper--must be nice! *sigh*)

After a year of being in the Junior M.A.F.I.A, Kim launched her solo career with her debut album Hard Core. But, was the first lady of the Mafia successful? To say the least! It debuted number #11 on the billboard charts (Huge deal!) #3 on the Billboard Rap/R&B albums chart (Huge deal!) and went double platinum. That is-- 2, count em' 2 MILLION copies. (HUGE DEAL!)

Kim became a popular fashion, hip-hop icon. (We'll let Kim off the hook for the infamous pasty outfit at the VMA's)

Without a doubt, Kimberly Jones or Lil' Kim, was a proud female hip-hop icon with an attitude, and we love her for that.

http://www.lilkimzone.net/

3 comments:

  1. I like the casual tone you used when writing this, your incorporation of storytelling motiffs, and your direct appeal to "the ladies". Including information on the female artists in a mostly male genre shows how women (and anyone for that matter) can succeed even when other people might try and shut them down. I don't want to typecast you into writing only about women, but I would like to read more about other women working in rap and hip hop such as Salt n Peppa, Missy Elliot or even British artists like Lady Sovereign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome post. Your style of writing on these blogs is one of my favorites. I had no idea that Lil' Kim dated Biggie..i thought that he came way before she did (shows how much i know). Your post was funny but really informative at the same time which i like. I like how you linked to the wonderful Lil Kim wardrobe choice because unfortunately thats what i best remember her for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea! This post is amazing! Awesome job, seriously! I think that you really got a great point across. Having written all my posts about women I love reading everyone else's who did the same. I didn't know she date Biggie either! That's insane... But I really like the way you're still able to keep your personality present in your posts. I love you ideas, GO WOMEN POWER!

    ReplyDelete